Math 241 Section A: Midterm the first
- Tuesday, September 24 from 6:45–8:00pm. The exam
itself starts at 7:00, but please be there at 6:45 to
Location depends on your discussion section.
- 100 Gregory.
Go to 100 Gregory if your discussion section is any of:
- AD3: 3pm in 159 Altgeld with Ben Park
- ADA: 8am in 145 Altgeld with Marissa Miller
- ADB: 9am in 243 Altgeld with Marissa Miller
- 114 David Kinley Hall.
Go to 114 DKH if your discussion section is any of:
- AD2: 9am in 14 Illini with Grace Jaffe
- ADK: 9am in 113 Gregory with Harshit Yadav
- ADL: 10am in 331 Gregory with Harshit Yadav
- 141 Wohlers.
Go to 141 Wohlers if your discussion section is any of:
- ADH: 3pm in 141 Altgeld with Zhixing Guo
- ADI: 4pm in 443 Altgeld with Zhixing Guo
- ADM: 11am in 208 Ag Eng Sci with Qiang Wu
- ADN: 12pm in W115 Turner with Qiang Wu
- 100 Material Science Engineering Building.
Go to 100 MSEB if your discussion section is any of:
- ADC: 10am in 108 English with Elliot Kaplan
- ADD: 11am in 145 Altgeld with Elliot Kaplan
- 314 Altgeld.
Go to our regular classroom only if your discussion section is any of:
- AD1: 11am in 173 Altgeld with Kesav Krishnan
- ADE: 12pm in 215B David Kinley Hall with Abhra Kundu
- ADF: 1pm in 222 David Kinley Hall with Abhra Kundu
- ADG: 2pm in 343 Altgeld with Chaeryn Lee
- ADO: 1pm in 343 Altgeld with Chaeryn Lee
- The test is closed book and closed notes.
- No calculators, cell phones, or other electronic
devices. The time will be posted.
- Please bring your student ID both for
identification and because you will need to know your
which is printed there. You should also know your
NetID as well as which discussion section you are
Special tutoring, office hour, and class schedule for Sept 23–27:
- Office hours: Monday from 2:30–4:00pm, Tuesday
from 8:30–10:30am in 378 Altgeld Hall. No office
hours Thursday or Friday.
- Tutoring Monday from 4-8pm, Tuesday 4-6pm, and Thursday
4-8pm, in 141 Altgeld Hall. No tutoring on Wednesday.
- Class on Monday and Friday as usual, but no class on
- Covers Chapter 12 and Sections 14.1 - 14.5 of Chapter
Note: Section 14.6 will only appear on the next exam.
Problems will be similar to those on the HW and discussion
worksheets. Some will be straight computations, others will
be conceptual short answer questions, and others multiple
choice or true/false questions. Taken collectively, the HW
should be viewed as constituting a study guide for this exam.
Recommended Review Problems:
Working additional problems from the text is the
recommended way to prepare for the exam, as is doing the
problems from the worksheets that you didn't get to in
section. A key resource is the excellent list of review
problems at the end of each chapter, including quick concept
checks and a true/false quiz. For Chapter 12, all of them
relevant. For Chapter 14, what we've covered is reviewed in:
- Concept check: 1 - 11.
- True/false quiz: 1 - 6, 8.
- Exercises: 1 - 42.
Additionally, in WebAssign you will find assignments titled
"Review 12.1" and similar. These contain all the WebAssign
problems corresponding to that section of the textbook; while
they are essentially copied over from the textbook, they have
the advantage of giving you access to the solutions.
Here are some old exams whose authors overlap with those
writting the exams for this semester, with solutions.
Important Note: In section on Thursday, Sept 19, you
will take the 2012 exam in timed conditions as practice, so
you don't want to look at it before that (the practice exam
won't be graded).
Here are answers to some questions people frequently ask
about the covered material on the Piazza discussion forum:
Midterm 1 FAQ.
If you have a conflict with the exam time, please consult the
university policy on
evening midterm exams. Based on that, if you think your
situation qualifies you to take the conflict exam, please
fill out this webform
at least one week before the exam date. The conflict exam will be
held Wednesday, Sept 25 from 7:45–8:55am in 314 Altgeld
(note that is in the morning, not the evening).